Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Ferguson Protesters Attack Police Car
Police car torched in Ferguson on Nov. 25, 2014.
The second day of protests in Ferguson, Missouri, over a grand jury's decision not to indict a white police officer in the shooting death of Michael Brown began turning violent Tuesday night when protesters apparently set a police car on fire. The police cruiser was set alight about 9:55 p.m. by a group of people who first tried to flip the car.

"It upsets me, but I can't blame them because of the unjust things that have happened in the community," Onni Love, who lives in an apartment building on the street where the car was torched, told NBC News.

Protests continued in Ferguson on Tuesday and across the nation after a St. Louis County grand jury declined Monday to indict Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson for fatally shooting Brown, 18, who was unarmed, in August. Protesters also shut down roads and highways in New York City, Boston and San Francisco on Tuesday.

Police in Ferguson told NBC News that there had been occasional arrests during the day but that largely the streets had remained clear Tuesday as about 200 unorganized protesters gathered downtown. National Guard members were posted near police headquarters but were leaving matters to local police for the most part.

Love, 36, said she was outside Tuesday night trying to protect her building.

"I'm doing this for my kids' safety and my safety. I have a grandbaby," Love said. "I want people to know this isn't all businesses. This is a residence. I live here."

No comments: